The Southgate Figure Skating Booster Club follows Ice Skating Institute and USFSA guidelines and policies by providing a safe environment for our skaters.
SkateSafe, formally known as SafeSport Compliance, is a USFSA requirement for any volunteer working behind the gate at our Ice Show in April. This includes locker rooms, props, ushers, etc. It is also MANDATORY that a parent of each skater sign up to work two shows and at least one of those shows must be in our locker room/changing rooms. Please refer to our “Everything you need to know about the Ice Show” document for details. There will be a fine for failure to complete training by the club deadline as we will have to find additional coverage on your behalf.
If you are not a member of USFSA and/or a designed family member who plans to volunteer in the locker room or backstage on the behalf of the assigned parent (i.e. additional parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, etc.), you are still required to complete SafeSport and can create an account and take the training.
U.S. Figure Skating SkateSafe Program
U.S. Figure Skating strives to provide a safe environment for its members that is free of misconduct and harassment. The association will not tolerate or condone any form of harassment or misconduct of any of its members including athletes, coaches, officials, directors, employees, parents, volunteers or any other persons while they are participating in or preparing for a figure skating activity or event conducted under the auspices of U.S. Figure Skating. All forms of misconduct are unacceptable and in direct conflict with U.S. Figure Skating rules.
The U.S. Figure Skating SkateSafe Program addresses the following types of misconduct:
- Sexual misconduct
- Physical misconduct
- Emotional misconduct
- Bullying, threats and harassment
- Willfully tolerating misconduct
SkateSafe Compliance FAQs
- If you have a USFSA membership, log-in to USFSA (DO NOT USE YOUR CHILD’S LOG-IN) to complete the training
- If you don’t know your USFSA membership number, you can email email@example.com
- If you do NOT have a USFSA membership or login, please see the instructions below
- The background check rate is set by USFSA and must be completed every year
- Renewal will be required annually. If you have previously taken SkateSafe, the renewal training is a shorten version
- You may pause training and resume at a later date.
- If you have SafeSport certification from another organization, you may email your most recent SafeSport training certificate and NCSI green light/all clear email or complete background screen to firstname.lastname@example.org for upload. They will then issue a request to add their USFSA member number to their profile. Background checks must be done by NCSI to fulfill compliance requirements.
Additional questions can also be directed to our current SkateSafe Chair, Lynn Frye and/or President.